The Petoskey area hosts a variety of events, including our favorite special events list to the left that we look forward to every year!
Celebrate winter in Mackinaw City during our annual Winterfest January 13-15, 2011!!
Enjoy amateur & professional snow sculpting competition, sleigh rides, outhouse races, poker run, outdoor ice skating, euchre tournament, chile cook off, and an ice fishing tournament on Paradise Lake.
Fun winter activities for kids, teens and adults!!
Most of the activities are FREE with a Winterfest button that can be purchased from the Chamber of Commerce, various businesses around town and at each event site during the festival.
Mackinaw Area Visitors Bureau
The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is fast approaching and what better way to celebrate a long weekend than at Boyne Mountain for this annual ski weekend. The weekend event runs from Friday, January 14 - Monday, January 17, and will feature non-stop skiing and parties. Participants are coming from all parts of the United States, Canada and the U.K. to experience this annual extravaganza. Great people, great resort and a great time! All events are open to the public.
- Car Pool and caravan to resort
- 4pm-9pm: Check-In, Registration and Welcome Package
- 9pm-12am: Welcome Reception
- Meet and Greet, Mix and Mingle
- Speed Dating - Ski Weekend Edition
- 12am-2am: Flashback - The Old School Music Party
- 2am-4am: While You Were Sleep After-Party
- Skiing all day
- 3pm-5pm: Snowflake Happy Hour featuring NFL Playoffs and social networking
- “Game Time” Spades, games and more
- 7pm-8:30pm: Mountain Grand Lodge Comedy Show
- King and Queen of the Mountain – Best Ski Outfit contest
- 10pm-2am FEATURED PARTY: The Pj Party - WSG R&B performing artist (TBA), and Celebrity DJ
- 2am-? The "Insomniac" After Party
- Skiing all day (or whenever you decide to wake up)
- 3pm-5pm Afternoon Happy Hour featuring NFL football playoffs
- Pool Party (???)
- 10pm-2am FEATURED PARTY: "Tee Shirt Party" - with special guest performance
- 2am-? The Last Call After Party
- 2pm Farewell to Boyne Mountain
For more information please visit www.mlkskiweekend.com
High energy world blues from the master songwriter, harpist and digeridude.
Peter Harper - Part harmonica virtuoso and part rhythmic explorer, Harper is a fiery artist-singer/songwriter who blurs the lines between blues, soul, rock and world music. His latest Bling Pig release "Stand Together" (2010) is the most artistically realized CD Harper has ever written. By combining traditional and modern influences, borrowing from Western and aboriginal music, Harper has created a highly original take on the roots genre which many have labeled "World Blues". His innovative use of electronic enhancement and feedback, breaks the traditional boundaries of the harmonica, giving his music its distinctive harmonics and effects. The powerful guitar sounds and the unique drone of the didgeridoo create raw yet eerie sonic textures, somehow sounding primal and contemporary at the same time. No Depression Magazine's Rod Ames adds that Harper "has written and arranged some of the most soulful blues rock filled music I've heard in quite some time." Harper's new CD reached number 10 on the Billboard Charts and the US Roots Music Charts. "Stand Together" also reached number 2 on the XM/Sirius Bluesville national charts, USA 2010.
Art Tipaldi, editor of Blues Revue recently described Harper as "a singer with the deep soul of Motown, a harmonica player who can graft Sonny Boy II and Little Walter with John Popper, a songwriter who tells his own compelling stories in an unhurried, JJ Cale-like manner, and a musical visionary who is unafraid to mix the didgeridoo, an important part of his Australian indigenous culture, with infectious modern percussive rhythms."
Blissfest Music Organization